Home > clarinet, saxophone > Making single reeds

Making single reeds

September 29th, 2010 Leave a comment Go to comments

YouTube Preview Image

Categories: clarinet, saxophone Tags:
  1. Alexia Nalin Beggining Band
    January 31st, 2011 at 03:25 | #1

The making of a single reed is completely fascinating. Knowing how much time, work and precision is put into one single reed, makes me want to take care of mine extra carefully. Now i know that to make a reed you first have to dry both sides of a cane, then sawed using precise “diameter and wall thickness” then sliced into four pieces called splits. After that, it is computer precised cut into reeds using machines, rough cut is made to make a vamp at the end, after test the strength of the reed and finally place the reed(with logo) into their plastic reed holders and placed into cartons of reeds. VOILA!!

2. Andy
    January 31st, 2011 at 05:33 | #2

Who knew the production of the reed was so complicated? Wouldn’t the reed be dirty because there is no cleaning in the process, it just comes from the cane?

3. Andrew
    February 20th, 2011 at 02:41 | #3

Why is their different reed sizes for different wood wind instruments and why would you need a different reed size if a e flat clarinet uses the same reed size as an e flat alto saxophone?

• February 21st, 2011 at 20:10 | #4

Good questions. The different reed sizes are for the different size mouthpieces. Clarinet MP’s are shorter than saxophone. The width of the reed is the same. Cane has to be sized for the type reed it can make. You can only use really big cane to make bari sax reeds for example. The curve on the top of yur reed is the shape of the original cane.

4. Andrew mcgrath
    March 4th, 2011 at 02:00 | #5

WOW their is so much machine to make one reed

5. Andrew Yu
    March 5th, 2011 at 07:58 | #6

if they check to see if the reed is hard or not then why is it easy to break a reed so fast?

6. Alex
    March 10th, 2011 at 09:22 | #7

Wow who knew it took so long to produce the reeds! Even though the reeds are small, who knew they would be so important that it would take months to produce them

7. Antonella
    March 11th, 2011 at 02:55 | #8

I never knew how long the process of making only one single reed would take! They have to go through all that long process to just get the bamboo cut into the specific measurements. I found the process very fascinating and interesting! Just like the process of making a Bb Clarinet!

8. Andres
    March 14th, 2011 at 06:38 | #9

This video is cool but I want to know why the cane poles have to be dried out for months.

9. Rhea
    March 15th, 2011 at 04:21 | #10

Amazing! There is so much to the process of making a clarinet reed. Everything needs to be precise and so perfect! I’m so fortunate to have this reed, that has been through this whole process of hard work!

10. Bryan Tan
    March 17th, 2011 at 05:49 | #11

If the reed was checked if it was hard or not then why is it so easy to break the reed and also shouldn’t the reed suppose to be dirty cause there is no cleaning station. But if I check my reed it is so soft and so easy to break????

11. Rhea I
    March 17th, 2011 at 06:24 | #12

Amazing how there is such a long process just to make single reed! It has to be so precise and so perfect! The measurements has to be exactly as it should. I can’t imagine doing this myself, it would probably take me forever to finish just one reed! Wow, I’m so glad I didn’t have to make my own reed!

12. Brian Ha
    March 17th, 2011 at 09:43 | #13

Wow I never knew that making a single reed would
    be so difficult and need to have so many machines to
    just make it. I would never think of taking so long in
    just cutting the bamboos to the right measurement.
    This video was very fasinating one.

13. Ah yeon Jeong
    August 9th, 2011 at 08:53 | #14

I NEVER KNEW THAT IT WAS THAT HARD TO MAKE JUST ONE LITTLE REED!!!!

14. Lisa:)
    January 6th, 2012 at 22:41 | #15

wow it takes a long time to make that one small reed! 😀 its sooo cool:D

15. Brianna