Home > clarinet > How a clarinet is made

How a clarinet is made

September 29th, 2010 Leave a comment Go to comments

YouTube Preview Image

Categories: clarinet Tags:
  1. Anoushka
    January 31st, 2011 at 06:26 | #1

I think it is very interesting how the keys of a clarinet are put on manually. This shows me that the making of a clarinet is a long and tedious process. This also shows me that the people who fit on the keys on these clarinets are people with skill and expertise. One more interesting thing is that after the clarinets are made they have to be tuned, so it is necessary for it to be tested by a clarinet player, so it’s probably a fact that your clarinet has been played before you bought it!

2. Derek
    February 3rd, 2011 at 02:01 | #2

I think it is really cool how the clarinet is made because now in modern times, most instruments aren’t made out of wood but plastic, coil, etc. It requires a lot of skills to just put tiny pieces of keys. I think people would only take a job if thet were a expert at this field of work.

3. Harry Cho
    March 1st, 2011 at 06:48 | #3

As I watched the video, I thought, “How would they have done it before, when they didnt have the machines?” When they make wholes for the finger and the body, it wouldnt have been easy without machines. I wondered why clarinets were so expensive if they werent hand made. All they need to do by hand are some of the keys, which they mess up everytime. Both my first and second clarinets had a crooked side key which I had to go to the shop fix. I also wondered if they also solked black wood, which some clarinets are made of, in ink.

• March 1st, 2011 at 19:03 | #4

Clarinets are made out of genadilla wood which grows in Africa and is naturally that black color. It is a very dense wood and the trees grow very slowly. The world has a shortage of good grenadilla wood, which drives up prices. Manufacturers are trying to make synthetic materials that behave like wood. One solution is to add grenadilla dust to resin and pour the clarinet in a mold.

4. Jupiter Lee
    March 2nd, 2011 at 03:17 | #5

The making of the bell is very interesting, and the techniques to drill holes and to silver-plate the keys are also fascinating. I think clarinets are painted in black a little, because the bell looked obviously like wood, not like a black bell. it had wood-type look instead of plain black. so i guess it would have to be painted a little, and if you see a old wood clarinet some parts look like wood and others look like plain black.

5. Soungjin
    March 2nd, 2011 at 06:48 | #6

As i watched it I learned something new, its partially hand-made. I wonder if there were mistakes in the machine. If there were mistakes how much would the employee feel burden. It was cool see this video and enjoyed the background music. Seeing this makes me worry if the broken clarinet was sold to me…

6. Rom Villarica
    March 5th, 2011 at 11:06 | #7

It seems to me that it would be much easier to mechanize the key process, since a large portion of the video was devoted to how the keys were made and put on. I feel really sorry for those workers; it must be really boring to sit there attaching keys to a clarinet all day. I shudder to think how much training the workers had to go through to be able to assemble the complex mechanisms in a clarinet. They must have a really high degree of experience to be able to do all that. Now I know why the clarinet is so expensive; the workers have to assemble it by hand instead of having a machine do it. I do have one question, though. If manufacturers are already able to create synthetic materials that can replace the expensive grenadilla wood, why are they not using them? It would probably cut down the cost of a clarinet tremendously.

7. Antonella
    March 6th, 2011 at 07:23 | #8

I found this video very interesting because I would of never guess how long and the amount of patience that requires making each one of this clarinets. And actually, I just realized that my own clarinet might of been build there because it is the same brand! I read your comment, Mr.Howrey and I had realized that some clarinets were made out of like plastic and then just painted to make it shiny. On the other hand, some clarinets are made out of the genadilla wood. By watching that video I also realized all the patience that was required by the workers to paint and place the keys into the clarinet. I could imagine how long it would of taken the factories to make clarinets without the machines that cut and shapes the wood perfectly. I really enjoyed the video and i am now going to watch the one about the making the single reeds.

8. Jun Woo Jang
    March 7th, 2011 at 08:07 | #9

I couldn’t believe that clarinets had to be made super precise with not a single error. I wonder what would happen if the cut the wood 1 cm longer than usual. If the product is complete but the clarinet has one small mistake in the size of the hole they drilled, do they have to throw that away and build another one?

Are all clarinets made of the same wood? If they are, what makes Yamaha 450 sooooo hard to blow compared to Tosca or other good, expensive clarinets?

• March 7th, 2011 at 20:37 | #10

Most resistance in a clarinet is caused by the mouthpiece, ligature and reed set up. Changing any of these factors will change the feel of how a clarinet blows.

9. Andrew
    March 14th, 2011 at 07:19 | #11

i used to play clarinet and wow ive never knew a clarinet was that hard to make. when making a clarinet how long does it take?

Skip to toolbar